Neck & Shoulder Pain Chiropractor
What Causes Neck Pain?
Neck pain is discomfort or stiffness in the neck. It can range from mild to severe and can make it difficult to move the head. Here is a list of things that can cause neck pain:
- Poor posture: can significantly contribute to neck pain by placing strain on the muscles, tendons and ligaments in the neck. For example, when sitting at a computer for an extended period of time with the head tilted forward and the shoulders rounded, it can lead to increased tension in the neck muscles, resulting in pain and discomfort.
- Poor sleeping position: When the neck is positioned in an awkward or uncomfortable manner, or when the pillows are too high or too low, it can result in excessive strain on the spinal muscles and joints. This can lead to fatigue and soreness in the neck upon waking.
- Injury: whiplash, sports related injuries and accidents are all contributing factors to neck pain that can cause pain and discomfort.
- Neck arthritis: also known as cervical osteoarthritis, it is when the joints in the neck wear down over time, which causes the bones to rub together and create pain, stiffness, and limited range of motion. This can lead to chronic neck pain, discomfort and difficulty in performing daily activities.
What Causes Shoulder Pain?
Shoulder pain is discomfort or soreness in the shoulder region. It can range from a dull ache to a sharp pain and can be caused by a variety of factors such as:
- Injuries: sprains, strains, fractures, or dislocations can cause pain in your shoulder.
- Overuse: repetitive motions or prolonged use of the shoulder can cause inflammation, strain and damage to the tendons, muscles and ligaments.
- Arthritis: a condition that causes inflammation in the joints which can lead to pain and stiffness in your shoulder.
- Bursitis: your shoulder has small bags of fluid that help it move smoothly. When these bags get swollen, it can cause pain and make it hard to move your shoulder. This often happens from overusing your shoulder, getting hurt, or certain health conditions.
- Frozen shoulder: occurs when the shoulder’s capsule, which is the soft tissue around the joint, becomes thick and tight. This makes it hard to move the shoulder in certain directions. It can happen after an injury or surgery, or sometimes without any known cause.
Neck & Shoulder Pain Treatment Melbourne
Chiropractors are trained to diagnose and treat neck & shoulder pain using a variety of techniques including:
How To Prevent Neck Pain
Here are some daily practices that can help prevent neck pain:
- Maintaining good posture
- Incorporating regular exercise
- Taking breaks and stretching
- Avoiding prolonged periods of inactivity
- Maintaining a healthy weight
- Avoiding carrying heavy bags on one shoulder
- Taking breaks while using phone or tablet
- Getting enough sleep and maintaining good sleep posture
- Consulting with a neck pain Chiropractor if experiencing chronic pain.
How To Prevent Shoulder Pain
Here are some daily practices that can help prevent shoulder pain:
- Incorporating regular exercise and stretching
- Avoiding activities that put repetitive stress on the shoulder
- Taking breaks from activities that involve repetitive motions
- Maintaining a healthy weight and avoiding carrying heavy bags on one shoulder
- Staying hydrated and maintaining good nutrition
- Wearing comfortable and supportive clothing and gear while engaging in physical activities
- Consulting with a shoulder pain Chiropractor if experiencing chronic pain.
Schedule an appointment with one of our expert Neck and Shoulder Chiropractors today!
If you are experiencing neck and shoulder pain, we can help you find relief! Save time and effort by booking your next appointment with us – it’s quick, easy and convenient. View all available times for an appointment near you and secure your preferred session time with just a few clicks.
Frequently Asked Questions
Symptoms of neck pain can include stiffness, soreness, tenderness, headaches, and pain that radiates down the arms. In some cases, there may also be numbness or tingling in the arms or hands.
Yes, a Chiropractor can help with neck pain by using techniques such as neck manipulation and adjustment, as well as exercises and stretches to improve alignment and reduce pain.
A neck adjustment chiropractor is a chiropractor who specialises in treating neck pain through adjustments and manipulations of the cervical spine. They use a variety of techniques to alleviate pain, improve range of motion, and reduce inflammation.
Are you looking for a neck pain specialist in Melbourne? Contact us today to see how we can help.
Both Chiropractors and Osteopaths can help alleviate neck pain, it is best to consult with both and choose the practitioner that you feel most comfortable with and that you think can best help you.
Chiropractors can be helpful in managing chronic neck pain. They use a variety of techniques to alleviate pain and improve range of motion, such as adjustments, manipulations, and exercises.
Some Chiropractors may be trained in massage therapy and may include neck massage as part of their treatment for neck pain. This can help to relax muscles and improve circulation, thereby reducing pain and inflammation.
Poor posture, such as slouching or hunching forward, can put extra stress on the muscles and bones in the cervical region. This can lead to tension, stiffness, and pain in the neck over time. Improving posture can help alleviate neck pain and prevent it from recurring.
Yes. Chiropractors are trained professionals that utilise a variety of techniques to help individuals overcome shoulder pain.
By using manual therapy, a Chiropractor can realign the body’s tissues and release the trapped nerve. This can help someone recover without the need for invasive procedures or medications that can cause side effects.
A Chiropractor can help alleviate the symptoms of a frozen shoulder and improve range of motion through adjustments and exercises, but it may take time for the shoulder to fully heal.
Techniques such as spinal manipulation, soft tissue therapy, and exercises to improve alignment can help to reduce muscle tension, and increase range of motion. Chiropractors may also utilise options such as low-level laser therapy, ultrasound, and electrotherapy to aid in the healing process and reduce inflammation.
Yes, Chiropractic care is a non-invasive treatment method that can help with bursitis in several ways:
- Fixing the way your spine is positioned which can help reduce swelling and pain.
- Making it easier for you to move by working on your limbs and joints.
- Giving you advice on how to change things in your daily life to prevent bursitis from happening again.
Chiropractic care can relieve shoulder impingement through various treatment methods such as:
- Joint mobilization and manipulation to relieve pain and improve joint motion.
- Soft tissue treatment to address scar tissue, adhesions, and trigger points that contribute to the condition.
- Ultrasound therapy to reduce inflammation and relieve pain.
- Dry needling or acupuncture to address myofascial trigger points.
- Rehab exercises to stretch, strengthen and restore proper movement patterns to prevent impingement from returning.